East Asia: These two words reflect an area of the world which is characterised by diversity of people as well as a wide variety of cultures, countries and religious worldviews. Some of these countries are rich and well developed – others are poor, struggling economically and depend on foreign aid.
In some countries, Christianity is well established, thriving and reaching out to the rest of the world. In many others the church is small and lives tenuously in unsympathetic environments. Interserve works in several East Asian countries. It is a challenging part of the world in which to work with its many needs and numerous opportunities. There are plenty of places for flexible, servant-hearted, skilled Christians to live, serve and model Christ.
Interserve workers serving in East Asia include:
- Educators for expatriate children, local schools and universities
- Partnering with other organisations to increase effective student work
- English as a foreign language
- Medical and dental educators and practitioners
- Nursing educators and practitioners
- Community development
- Business education and development
- Creative and modernized literature and other media